Elementary Education: Doctor of Education (Ed.D.)
Doctor of Education with emphasis in Elementary Education graduates complete a program of study that requires a minimum of 99 graduate hours of coursework post bachelors, which includes 18 hours of dissertation. A minimum of 30 hours above the master's degree must be taken at The University of Mississippi. These hours do not include dissertation hours. In addition, the graduate must successfully complete and orally defend a dissertation representing independent and original research. Each doctoral graduate will complete 75 clock hours of field-based learning opportunities and successfully complete a written comprehensive examination.
Applicants to the program must meet these requirements:
- 3.5 GPA on all previous graduate coursework
- 2 years teaching or relevant experience (letter from employer on letterhead)
- NOTE REGARDING ADMISSION APPLICATIONS FOR 2020 SUMMER SESSION AND 2020 FALL SEMESTER: Due to COVID-19 precautions, standardized examinations, including the GRE, Praxis II Content Field, Praxis II PLT are suspended for admission applications submitted for the 2020 Summer Session and 2020 Fall Semester.
- Hold AA License (or eligibility for) in the content or related area
- Admissions statement/Writing Sample
- Preliminary written exam and interview
- Two (2) Graduate Reference Forms
- March 1 (summer and fall admission)
See the Graduate Handbook for information on completing the application process.
Doctoral graduates are prepared to be educational leaders. Many assume positions as teacher educators, curriculum directors, state department of education personnel, or leaders in other educational settings. A few doctoral graduates choose to remain in their classrooms serving as leaders and mentors for their colleagues. Some add administration and supervision courses to their program and assume administrative roles in the school. Doctoral level graduates generate and utilize research, apply research and theory in curriculum development, and communicate ideas through writing and speaking with other professionals in the field.
Online/Regional Campus Options
Many classes for the Ed.D. with emphasis in Elementary Education are offered at the regional campuses.