Gifted Endorsement Option
The Gifted Endorsement is designed to prepare educators with the knowledge base and competencies necessary for the appropriate education of gifted and talented learners. These 12 credit hours are necessary for the Mississippi Supplementary Endorsement in Gifted Education. Students pursuing certiﬁcation in other states must check with their State Department of Education for certiﬁcation requirements.
Applicants to the program must meet these requirements:
- Have a completed bachelor's degree
- Hold a teacher certification
- Must have 2 years teaching experience
Complete the online Application for Graduate Admission to apply to the Certificate in Gifted Education Program, which can be found under the Teacher Education heading.
- EDSP 685: Characteristics of Gifted Learners (Summer 1 Online)
- EDSP 689: Inst. Methods and Materials in Gifted Educ. (Summer 1 Online)
- EDSP 695: Differentiated Instruction for Atypical Gifted Learners (Summer 2 Online)
- EDSP 690: Curriculum, Program Development and Prac. For Gifted Learners (Summer 2 Online)
Courses must be taken in order. Summer 2 courses cannot be taken unless the Summer 1 courses have been successfully completed.
The endorsement includes 12 hours of coursework offered online.
For More Information
Diane Lawrence Lowry
Clinical Assistant Professor of Special Education
Department of Teacher Education
School of Education
The University of Mississippi
302 Guyton Hall
University, MS 38677
(662) 915-6718 Fax