Higher Education: Doctor of Education (Ed.D.)
The Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) with an emphasis in Higher Education is designed for current college and university administrators who desire to emphasize a practitioner focus in their doctoral studies.
The purpose of the Ed.D. with emphasis in Higher Education is to enhance higher education practitioners communication, assessment and evaluation, and leadership skills. The degree culminates with a dissertation in practice project. The DiP provides the opportunity for Ed.D. students to hone expertise in a content area, learn and apply assessment and evaluation principles, and self-author career plans to help colleges, universities, and non-profit organizations improve equity and demonstrate accountability.
It is possible to complete degree requirements over a three-year period. The degree requires completion of 48 semester hours of post-master’s coursework and the successful defense of a dissertation-in-practice.
The School of Education at the University of Mississippi is a member of the Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate (CPED), which is a consortium of over 80 colleges and schools of education which have committed resources to work together to advance the understanding of the contemporary doctorate in education.
A competitive applicant will:
- Meet the priority application deadline (March 1)
- Have a score of 4.0 or higher on the Analytical Writing portion of the GRE
- Have strong grade point averages for previous study (undergraduate, master’s, or first-professional degree transcripts)
- Write a statement of purpose that clearly articulates interest in this program that emphasizes strengthening skills related to assessment and evaluation
- Submit a resume that demonstrates experience in higher education and ability to advance in the profession
- Provide contact information for three professional references
- Include a strong letter of support from a current or previous supervisor
Priority application deadline for the Ed.D. Program is March 1.
The Ed.D. is designed for the career needs of working professionals in higher education seeking a practitioner-driven program delivered within a part-time format.