CAPTI: Play Therapy & Counseling Services
CAPTI provides play therapy and mental health counseling for children, adolescents, and adults. In most cases, CAPTI will be able to file medical insurance on services provided, and for clients who do not have insurance coverage; a sliding scale is used to determine cost
For children ages 3-12, counseling is provided through the use of play therapy. Play therapy utilizes play in a structured playroom to allow children to freely express themselves. Through the use of play in therapy, children can express feelings, learn to change their behavior, develop problem-solving skills, and learn better ways of relating to others.
Mental health counselors who specialize in play therapy, Registered Play Therapists, are able to assess and better understand children through their play. Play therapy helps children cope with difficult emotions and find solutions to their problems. Research findings show that play therapy helps children:
- Become more responsible for behaviors.
- Develop new and creative solutions to problems.
- Develop respect and acceptance of self and others.
- Learn to experience and express emotion.
- Cultivate empathy and respect for thoughts and feelings of others.
- Learn new social skills and relational skills with family.
Also, mental health counselors at CAPTI use creative and expressive arts to help adolescents better communicate their issues in a safe and understanding therapeutic environment.
For more information on play therapy: