Online M.Ed./Ed.S. in Educational Leadership
Rolling Admissions! Start in the fall, spring, or summer!
What you'll learn
We see leadership potential in you. Take your career to the next level and apply to our certification program in K-12 Educational Leadership. Our research-based program focuses on best practiced of effective school leaders and is designed to fit the demanding schedule of a full-time teacher. Our 30-hour program requires graduate students to complete two courses per semester. Degree candidates complete internship hours under one of our Instructional Leader Mentors.
The UM School of Education began offering its online program in Fall 2018 to educators serving in Mississippi schools. The program has an internship component which requires school site visits by our instructors or internship supervisors. With our current resources, the program is being offered for K-12 educators in Mississippi and areas within 50 miles of the border of Mississippi.
What we're looking for
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a 3.0 GPA overall
- A current resume
- Class A teaching license
- Three years of K-12 teaching experience
- A writing sample in response to a leadership-focused prompt
- Two letters of reference with evidence of leadership potential
Yes. Contact our Graduate Studies Office for in-depth information. Teachers and administrators in districts which host UM student teachers may also qualify for bank hours to pay tuition.
The program can be completed in 18 months. Our Online M.Ed./Ed.S. requires 30 credits and students typically take 2 classes each semester.
If you are a licensed teacher and you already hold a master's degree, then you are eligible to apply to our Specialist in Education (Ed.S.) option. Other applicants should apply for the Master of Education (M.Ed.) program. Both programs lead to an advance administrative license from the Mississippi Department of Education.
A number of our graduates go on to take Assistant Principal positions after graduation. Other go on to administrative leadership positions at the school or district level. Many of our graduates become a full principal within just a few years of graduation.
Upon completion of the M.Ed. in Educational Leadership, individuals can apply for the following licenses with the Mississippi Department of Education:
- The Non-Practicing Administrator License is issued to an educator NOT currently employed in an administrative position.
- The Entry Level Administrator License is issued upon request to an educator employed as a beginning administrator.
- The Standard Career Level Administrator License is issued to a practicing administrator who has completed all requirements for conversion to Career Level.
*We have not determined if the program curriculum meets the education requirements for licensure or certification in the other US states, territories, or the District of Columbia.
Our Online M.Ed./Ed.S. program is designed to fit your life. We believe you should study online and on your time.
Applicants must fill out an application through UM's Graduate School.
Ask Program Coordinator Dr. Jill Cabrera questions right now: