M.Ed. in Early Childhood Education (Residential)

What you'll learn

Quality Pre-K educators make a lifelong impact on children. Can you? Our Residential M.Ed. degree helps teachers, administrators and others utilize the best practices and latest research related to the cognitive, social and emotional development of young children. If you already hold a Mississippi teaching license, you will have the opportunity to earn a Pre-K license endorsement from the state.

What we're looking for

Applicants to the Master of Education in Early Childhood Education must meet the following requirements:

  • 3.0 GPA on last 60 hours of undergraduate work
  • NOTE REGARDING ADMISSION APPLICATIONS FOR 2022 SPRING SEMESTER, 2022 SUMMER SESSION, AND 2022 FALL SEMESTER: Due to COVID-19 precautions, standardized examinations, including the GRE, Praxis II Content Field, Praxis II PLT, are suspended for admission applications submitted for the 2022 Spring Semester, 2022 Summer Session, and 2022 Fall Semester.
  • Two (2) Graduate Reference Forms
  • Undergraduate degree in (Elementary, Secondary, Special, Early Childhood) Education or a closely related field.

Application Deadlines

  1. April 1st (summer admission)
  2. May 1st (fall admission)
  3. November 1st (spring admission)

Campus Options

A residential program in Early Childhood Education is offered by The University of Mississippi School of Education on the Oxford campus. A fully online program in Early Childhood Education is also offered.


Yes. Contact our Graduate Studies Office for in-depth information. Teachers and administrators in districts which host UM student teachers may also qualify for bank hours to pay tuition.

The program can be completed in less than 2 years. Our Online M.Ed. requires 10 classes (30 credits) and grad students typically take 2 classes each semester.

Our graduates can serve in many roles such as: school administrators, professional development coordinators, curriculum coordinators, child development specialists, consultants, researchers, policy advocates and more.

Applicants must fill out an application through UM's Graduate School.

Ask Program Coordinator Burhanettin Keskin questions right now: