Counselor Education - Play Therapy Track (Online): Educational Specialist (Ed.S.)
The Child Advocacy and Play Therapy Institute, an approved center for play therapy education by the Association for Play Therapy is pleased to offer a post-master's specialist degree in education for those interested in play therapy and becoming a Registered Play Therapist. Our program is provided online for national and international students.
We offer a fall to summer curriculum with a two semester practica experience and an intensive supervision residency. Students will complete 18 credit hours, record at least 335 hours of play therapy sessions, and receive 35 hours of supervision by the course instructor who will be a Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor. An onsite residency is required for three days in the Summer semester. The residency is limited to 10 students, so several residencies will occur through the months of June and July. The residency is held at The University of Mississippi at the Child Advocacy and Play Therapy Institute.
Admission to the Ed.S. in Play Therapy requires:
- Must hold current and active individual state license (or certification) to engage in either independent or supervised clinical mental health practice.
- Licenses accepted include LCP, LPC, LCSW, LMFT, LSC, LLP, as well as licensed Psychiatrists and psychiatric/mental health nursing
- Educational Degrees
- Must have earned a Master's or higher mental health degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Must have also completed designated core graduate coursework, i.e. ethics, child development, theories of personality, principles of psychotherapy, and child/adolescent psychopathology.
- Clinical Experience
- Must have completed at least 1 year and 1,000 hours of supervised post-master's clinical experience.
- Proof of current professional liability insurance.
- Criminal background check
- A formal phone interview.
- Access to at least 10 hours of play therapy experiences per week over a 35 week period beginning in October – July.
You must apply online with the Graduate School in the Educational Specialist's Degree in Counselor Education with an emphasis in play therapy. Please submit your application and transcripts by July 1 to begin coursework in the fall semester. You are encouraged to apply and complete your application process as soon as possible for a prompt review and admission decision. Also, be sure to check the Academic Calendar for other important deadline information.
The online Educational Specialist's degree in play therapy charges a flat tuition rate regardless of a student's state of residency.
For More Information
Child Advocacy and Play Therapy Institute
School of Education
The University of Mississippi
850 Insight Park, Ste 163a
P.O. Box 1848
University, MS 38677
(662) 915-7230 Fax