Counselor Education - Play Therapy Track (Online): Educational Specialist (Ed.S.)
The Child Advocacy and Play Therapy Institute, an approved center for play therapy education by the Association for Play Therapy is pleased to offer a post-master's specialist degree in education for those interested in play therapy and becoming a Registered Play Therapist. Our program is provided online for national and international students.
We offer a fall to summer curriculum with a two semester practica experience. Students will complete 18 credit hours and record at least 335 hours of supervised play therapy under the supervision of a Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor. An onsite residency is required for three days in the Summer semesters, normally scheduled the first or second week of June, which provides face-to-face supervision and intensive work in a playroom at the Child Advocacy and Play Therapy Institute.
Admission to the Ed.S. in Play Therapy requires:
- Must hold current and active individual state license (or certification) to engage in either independent or supervised clinical mental health practice.
- Licenses accepted include LCP, LPC, LCSW, LMFT, LSC, LLP, as well as licensed Psychiatrists and psychiatric/mental health nursing
- Educational Degrees
- Must have earned a Master's or higher mental health degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Must have also completed designated core graduate coursework, i.e. ethics, child development, theories of personality, principles of psychotherapy, and child/adolescent psychopathology.
- Clinical Experience
- Must have completed at least 1 year and 1,000 hours of supervised post-master's clinical experience.
- Proof of current professional liability insurance.
- A formal web-based interview or face to face interview.
- Access to at least 10 hours of play therapy sessions per week over a 35 week period beginning in November – July.
You must apply online with the Graduate School in the Educational Specialist's Degree in Counselor Education with an emphasis in play therapy. Please submit your application and transcripts by August 1 to begin coursework in the fall semester. You are encouraged to apply and complete your application process as soon as possible for a prompt review and admission decision. Also, be sure to check the Academic Calendar for other important deadline information.
The online Educational Specialist's degree in play therapy charges a flat tuition rate regardless of a student's state of residency.
For More Information
Child Advocacy and Play Therapy Institute
School of Education
The University of Mississippi
122 Guyton Hall
P.O. Box 1848
University, MS 38677
(662) 915-7230 Fax