Elementary Education: Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction (M.Ed.)
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) with emphasis in Elementary Education enhances excellence in teaching by encouraging individual growth and application of research-based techniques and emerging theory in the classroom. In addition, the program builds on basic-level preparation that teachers have received and requires more in-depth study, reading, research, and sharing with classmates in a professional, collegial, academic setting.
Candidates for the Master of Education with Elementary Education emphasis complete a 30 hour program, 45 clock hours of field-based learning opportunities, and successful completion of a written comprehensive examination.
Applicants to the Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction must meet the following requirements:
- 3.0 GPA on last 60 hours of undergraduate work
- Results from a national standardized achievement/aptitude test predictive of the ability to complete a graduate program successfully. These include but are not limited to: Passing Score on Praxis II Content Field, or Passing Score on Praxis II PLT, or competitive Graduate Record Examination scores (GRE: all sections) or a teaching license.
- Undergraduate degree in (Elementary, Secondary, Special, Early Childhood) Education or a closely related field.
(Completion of the M.Ed. does not lead to initial licensure for programs in the Department of Teacher Education.)
Priority application deadlines:
- April 1 (summer admission)
- May 1 (fall admission)
- November 1 (spring admission)
See the Graduate Handbook for information on completing the application process.
M.Ed. graduates are professionals committed to becoming master teachers who facilitate learning by modeling appropriate practices based on research and emerging theory. As a result of their experiences in the program, interactions with colleagues and faculty, and continued study, they think reflectively about classroom practice and ways to enhance it.
Online/Regional Campus Options
An online M.Ed. program in Elementary Education is also offered by The University of Mississippi School of Education.