The EmD (emotional disability) certificate in special education specializing in emotional and behavioral disorders prepares teachers to be interventionist in the field of Emotional Behavior Disorders in order to address the needs of individual with EmD rulings.
The certificate focuses on meeting the needs of individual students who have emotional and behavioral disorders. Upon completion of the certificate, teachers are prepared to assess, analyze and problem solve the challenges of learning for students with emotional & behavioral disorders and their families, focusing on the objective of providing effective teaching practices, behavioral supports, and instructional strategies.
Applicants must meet these requirements:
- Have a completed bachelor's degree
- Hold a teacher certification in Special Education
Complete the online Application for Graduate Admission to apply to the Certificate in Emotional Disability, which can be found under the Teacher Education heading.
- EDSP 676: Education and Psychology of Individuals with Behavior Problems—Spring Online
- EDSP 678: Positive Behavior Support—Summer Online
- EDSP 680: Applied Behavior Analysis and Management—Fall Online
- EDSP 653: Practicum and Field Experiences with Exceptionalities—Summer Online
The certificate includes 12 hours of coursework offered online. If you wish to pursue a M.Ed. or an Ed.S. these 12 hours can be applied to the degree and the remaining coursework can be completed online.
For More Information
Diane Lawrence Lowry
302 Guyton Hall