Higher Education: Master of Arts (M.A.) online
The Master of Arts in Higher Education (online) is a 30 hour online program examining the various aspects of higher education administration. The online M.A. provides professional preparation for persons who are (or who will be) employed in the administration of various areas of postsecondary education. Students in the program will develop the requisite skills, competencies, and dispositions to fulfill these leadership roles at a diversity of types of institutions serving a wide array of enrolled students. This degree program is delivered online. A residential M.A. program designed for full-time students is also available.
Applicants to the program must meet these requirements:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited United States institution or the equivalent from an international institution
- Have an undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 on the course work attempted for regular admission
- Having an undergraduate grade point average of less than 3.0 may qualify for conditional admission
- Three years of post-baccalaureate work experience in higher education strongly preferred.
- Complete a Graduate School application online
- Upload the following supplemental materials to the Graduate School application:
- Statement of purpose
- Contact information for three references
Priority application deadlines: January 1 (for Fall Semester entrance). October 1 (for Spring Semester entrance). Applications received after the priority admissions application deadline will be considered on a space-available basis.
As a blended program that addresses both student affairs and other administrative functions in higher education, graduates from this program have found careers in a variety of areas. Examples include financial aid officer, Greek Life, student discipline, programming, residence life, institutional fundraising, admissions, campus recreation, athletics administration, and career services.
In addition to Mississippi institutions including The University of Mississippi, Mississippi State, Southern, Jackson State, and Mississippi College, other institutions that have hired our graduates in recent years include Florida State, Cornell, Oregon State, Trinity College (San Antonio), Purdue, Arizona State, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, and others.